Mono transformer balanced class A mic pre. Great on vocals and acoustic sources. High impedance input for guitars, bass, and keyboards. Passive variable HP filter, phase reverse, large clear meter, -20dB pad, XLR I/O. Stand alone.
The Avalon M5 is a 2U half-rack/desktop mounted Class A microphone preamp unit.
With a straightforward design layout, the Avalon M5 just lets you get on with the job – getting the best out of your microphone collection. If you want to hear smooth and shiny vocals, a clean and transparent sound that captures all the detail with a full dynamic range – then the Avalon M5 is where you need to go.
Built around the low-noise Class A circuitry that has made Avalon Design famous since its inception, the M5 preamp keeps signal paths short and uninterrupted – so less signal is lost in transit and all the best comes out. Fitted with a variable HPF, phase reverse, pad and phantom power, the M5 Preamp also functions as a top-quality DI box as well.
This high-quality mic preamp boasts some impressive technical figures with impressive + 30dB headroom and -126dB of noise, the Avalon M5 is extremely clean. 64dB of gain is provided in stepped 2dB increments, and should be enough to power Ribbon microphones.
From the start, Avalon Design set out to make professional products for professional situations – they wanted you to notice how good the best can sound. With the Avalon M5 Preamp to set your sound, it will get the best out of you, too.
Avalon M5 Overview:
• Pure Class A, 100% discrete design
• Smooth musical detail and sonic excellence
• Minimum audio signal path
• High performance input transformer
• Microphone and Hi-Z inputs to +36dB
• Very low noise -126dB
• High headroom +30dB
• Gain switched in 2dB steps to +64dB
• DC coupled Pure Class A output
• Large illuminated professional VU meter
• Twin LED peak signal indicators
• Regulated +48v phantom power supply
• Low distortion less than 0.5% THD and IMD
• Variable passive high pass (bass cut) filter
• All signal routing with sealed silver relays
• Circuit Topology: Twin cascode FET and bipolar low level input signal stages. High-voltage, 100% discrete, symmetrical high-bias Pure Class A amplifiers.
• Input Type and Load: Superior transformer, balanced low-ratio 1500 ohm input load.
• Maximum Mic Level: +36dB balanced XLR pin 2 hot (with -20dB passive attenuator).
• Maximum Instrument Level +30dB balanced 600 ohms, DC coupled, discrete Class A.
• Input Attenuator: -20dB resistive pre transformer primary, sealed silver relay.
• Phantom Power: +48v regulated 50mA capability, sealed silver relay.
• High Pass Filter: Passive, variable from 30Hz to 185Hz @ 6dB per octave, sealed silver relay.
• Polarity Reverse: Sealed silver relay on microphone input.
• Gain Range Input: +20dB to +64dB in 2dB steps.
• Maximum Output Level: +30dB unbalanced 600 ohms, DC coupled, discrete symmetrical Pure Class A.
• Output Type: XLR connector, pin 2 hot (optional balanced JT-1 transformer).
• Noise EIN Unweighted: -126dB 150 ohm.
• Noise 20kHz Unweighted: -100dB
• Distortion THD, IMD: 0.05% nominal
• Frequency Response -3dB: 1Hz to 120kHz transformer limit.
• System Bandwidth: DC to 1MHz
• Output Meter: High quality, illuminated analog VU meter 0dB = +4dB.
• Peak Meter: Bi-color LED’s 0dB and +20dB peak detection circuit.
• M5 Dimensions: 8.5 x 3.5 x 12 in (216 x 88 x 305mm) half rack width.
• Weight: 15lbs (6.8kg)
• Dimensions of Shipping Carton: 24 x 21.5 x 7.5 in (610 x 546 x 190mm)
• Weight-Packed: 25lbs (11.4kg) includes B2T power supply and cables.
• AC power supply B2T: External toroidal 100V to 240V, 50-60Hz selectable,
• 150 watts maximum.
• Cables: 1 x 8ft 4 pin ac cable, 1 x 8ft standard IEC cable included.
• Dimensions: 5 x 7 x 3.25 in (127 x 177 x 83mm)
• Weight: 7lbs (3.2kg)
• Rack mount kit (1) RM-1: Single M5 19 inch rack mount kit (holds one half rack unit).
• Rack mount kit (2) RM-2: Dual M5 19 inch rack mount kit (holds two half rack units).